OK so I just discovered who Seth Godin is and I’m floored, ladies and gent’s! If you are interested in marketing, leadership, and business development… this guy does it all! I’ve spent the last week watching YouTube interviews of this man and wanted to share briefly some takeaways from the “Icarus Deception” interview on Behind the Brand (also a great resource). You can watch the interview here: http://youtu.be/3K7tYdUZZ_c
1. Everyone is an artist; don’t stop creating.
2. Shun the non-believers; have conviction to clearly know who your creation is and who it is not for.
3. Pick yourself; don’t wait for others to “pick you”, don’t wait for their validation.
4. Do not be afraid to admit to yourself that you failed at something. This leads to shame and resistance which kills creativity. Do it anyway!
5. Trust & Connection are the new currency; “Do more people trust you and pay attention to you today than 6 months ago? What are you going to do in the next 6 months to build your trust?” (Godin)
6. Pick your customers; Look at your followers or people that pay attention to you and pick them. Ask yourself which group of people are open to being led or open to connect and focus on them.
7. Quality is the new social proof. “It goes beyond love to feel compelled to tell someone about [something] before you go to bed.”
8. The words of the critic belong to the critic. Rejection isn’t rejection of the PERSON, but rather the story/idea pitched at that point in time. If it is a good idea, make modifications, tweak/refresh/refine your idea and then try with the new modifications.
I’d love to hear who inspires you and compels you in to action. Leave your comments below!